Wednesday, June 29, 2011

To Love God Is To Obey Him


It is unfortunate that christian marriages end in divorce just as often as non-christian marriages. God ordained marriage. It is a covenant made unto Him as well as your spouse. Some people make this promise with very little commitment. When things get difficult or ugly and require long suffering, sacrifice, selflessness and forgiveness too often do people give up and give in to the destruction of the adversary. Satan seeks to kill, steal and destroy, especially marriages.

When making a covenant in marriage, we are committing to the union of one flesh, " And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. Mark 10:8, KJV. To deny this covenant is to deny one's self. Love is what draws two people together and when that spousal love fails it's the love of God that must prevail. When Walter and I had a difficult season in our marriage, I called on the Lord. I shared my frustrations, my disappointment and pain. My heavenly father lead me back to the Word, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15, KJV.

God is my first love and to love him is obey Him. Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy. My heart belongs to Jesus. I live to do His will, "...let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth." 1John 3:18, KJV. In the midst of my storm my love for God is what kept me. Even when I felt I had the right to be angry, vengeful, hurt or sad, it was God's love and forgiveness that lead me unto love and forgiveness for my husband. I know the Word but He called me to be a doer of the Word, to obey Him.

Many people feel that to forgive, to press on and love their spouse who does not seem to love them back would be wrong. But this is exactly what God would have us to do, to trust Him and the plan He has for us and to obey even when we are right or when injustice is our cross to bear. My love for God caused me to surrender to His will..."What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Mark 10:9, KJV, and His way..."Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." Ps 16:11, KJV. I humbled myself and faithfully submitted myself to God and to my husband. God's way brings peace and reconciliation, hope and joy.

Do you love God enough to obey, to submit yourself to Him and to your husband?

No comments:

Post a Comment