Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Reactions...A Matter Of The Will No, A Matter Of The Heart


"For as he thinketh in his Heart, so is he..." Proverbs 23:7

I don't know about you, but I have said to myself many times "Today, I will not...". With great intentions I have purposed myself to do good and yet I fail. When the pressure is on I find myself reacting exactly as I said I would not, as a result of feeling hurt, disappointed, frustrated, angry, or used. Our reactions display our heart; our heart is the wellspring of life. "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh." Luke 6:45 KJV

We can control our reactions when we change our heart and mind. I find that reading the Bible along with listening to music in the morning both help me to refresh and renew my heart and mind. For me doing this daily is a must. I also like to read. I have a couple of good books that I use as inspiration and instruction as well as accountability for me as a wife "Created to be His Helpmeet", by Debi Pearl, and as a mother "Shepherding a Child's Heart", by Ted Tripp, that I read periodically throughout the week. These are seeds planted for me. With these daily activities my desire is to be "transformed by the renewing of my mind", Romans 12:2 KJV. I have found this daily time devoted to the Lord and myself to be effective, something I look forward to and even miss when I am unable to take that time.

I also find it helpful and healthy to have accountability partners, a Paul, someone who I look up to that leads me by example and a Timothy, someone with who I can do life with. "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." Prov. 27:17
KJV

What steps are you taking or have you taken to control your future reactions?

No comments:

Post a Comment