Monday, January 21, 2013

A Well Stocked Pantry Offers Peace

Growing up we did not have an abundance of anything.  We obtained the necessities to make it for two weeks at a time; we lived from paycheck to paycheck for sure. I did not like running out of things.  Not having enough to carry us through made me feel anxious.

This encouraged me to be a wise shopper that I might obtain the things needed for the days to come.  I started as a teenager, my focus was to purchase my "never outs", these are the items I never wanted to run out of i.e. lotion, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, dental floss etc. I liked the idea of having what I needed, it gave me a peace about my circumstances, even if I didn't have the latest and greatest of material things, I had the necessities when the need arose.

Now, as a wife and mother of multiple children I find it even more important to have my shelves stocked.  There many more things on my "never outs" list i.e. bread, milk, flour, sugar, pasta, laundry detergent, fabric softener, trash bags etc.  To obtain these items and stay on our budget,  I purchase them when they are on sale and with a coupon, if possible, not when we run out. Keeping a close eye on my stock as well as keeping my shelves organized has been key to not running out of anything.


Currently, I am trying to recover from the losses of our home fire in November; restocking my pantry and my storage shelves are a priority.  To do so I have been receiving from others their overflow and or items they are not planning to use.  I have also been taking advantage of the sales offered each week, not only at the grocery stores, but also at the drug stores.

CVS has had a great promotion for last few weeks.  They have been offering a $10 CVS cash card when you purchase $30 in certain items.  On my recent purchase I scored big... I purchased $96 in products for just $44 a savings of $52 (56%)!!!!  My list of items purchased included food, skin care products, dish liquid, toothpastes, and deodorant.  I made three purchases in this one trip and I used my CVS cash card and coupons to increase my savings.

How do you keep your pantry and stock shelves full?  If you have any organization ideas, coupon sites or great deals to take advantage of this week, please share them with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment