Thursday, July 7, 2011

Big Savings At Walgreens


Wow, I am so glad I learned how to shop and save at the drugstores! This week I saved big; I purchased $80.41 worth of merchandise at Walgreens for just $17.43. Talk about a savings, that's over 80% savings on items I am sure to use. I purchased Hanes Men's 3pk of Tank T-shirts, 1-Bird feeder, 3-Disney Cars tableware, 1-3pk Athletic Socks, Gillette Shave Gel, Gillette Facial Cleanser, Gillette Fusion Proglide Razor Kit, Coppertone Sunscreen, Crest Mouthwash, Goetz Carmel, 2-2pks Earbud Speakers, 2-Speed Stick Deodorant and 1 Travel Alarm Clock.

Much like their competitor stores, Walgreens have their own system of "money" called Register Rewards that is only good at Walgreens stores. Weekly, Walgreens offers deals that give you back RRs. RRs print out on a machine called a Catalina machine (this machine sits beside the register when you buy your merchandise). Cashiers will hand you your RRs with your receipt at the end of your purchase. Walgreens also takes manufacturer (MFR) coupons and store coupons (SC or Wags coupons). Remember, when using coupons in a transaction, the number of coupons you use must be the same number or less than the number of items you purchase. If you purchase 4 items, you can only use 4 coupons. Keep in mind, Walgreens considers RRs as coupons. When you don't have the number of items you need, find a “filler” item. A filler item is a very cheap item (a $.25 piece of candy) that gives you the same number of items to purchase as coupons needed to use for your purchase to take advantage of your savings. RRs cannot be used for alcohol, tobacco, prescriptions, and some other similar purchases.

This week I started my shopping trip off with two $5 RRs that I didn't spend from last week. I chose items from the sales ad that would give me additional RRs. As always, I browsed through the items on the clearance shelves to use them as my "filler" items. I also used manufacturers coupons on my purchases. RRs are meant to be used on your "next" purchase so separated my purchases into four transactions and as you see my savings was "BIG". I teach this in my Coupons 102 class. If you're interested in learning more you can register for my class by contacting me.

Did you save big on your coupon purchases this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment